Saturday, November 12, 2005

Top 100 Spiritually Significant Films

Also on Codex Blogspot is a post on the Top 100 Spiritually Significant Films. It refers to a list on the Arts and Faith message board:

The 2005 Top 100 Arts and Faith Spiritually Significant Films

There are some interesting choices, not that I would want to compile even a top 10 under such a title. I am always surprised by just how much people seem to love Pasolini's Gospel According to Matthew, which comes in at 7 here. It's nice to see The Miracle Maker up there at 23, though. I was surprised to find out that none of my Intro New Testament class here had even heard of it.

3 comments:

crystal said...

I saw some of my favorites on the list ... The Mission (13)
The Seventh Seal (14)
Shadowlands (40)
Solaris (57)
The Last Temptation of Christ (70)
Lord of the Rings (74) :-)
Rashomon (75)
The Elephant Man (96)
... but I hadn't heard of the Miracle Maker

Doug said...

For me the big mystery is the films that don't get on the list - of which the most obcvious, IMO is Blade Runner. More than many films it explores the nature of humanity in provocative ways, with the hero being saved by an android with a nail though his palm.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, Blade Runner was on the 2004 list, but got dumped this year along with a number of my other favourite entries such as Life of Brian.